Friday, November 16, 2018

The B-Movie Part and Watercolour Art of Jan Hart (Interview Part 2)

movie poster design
poster design by Movie Vigilante
Part 1 of this interview was published Feb. 2, 2015. I had always wanted to do a follow-up and fill in some of the gaps. To help out, I asked Jan if she could get in contact with her friend and co-star in Teenagers Battle the Thing (TBTT), Ruth Ann Mannella, who played "Linda". Jan provided a copy of the questions to Ruth Ann, who was able to provide some additional information.
 

In reply to Jan, Ruth Ann had this to say:
 

"So glad you shared this latest experience with me. The movie now seems to have a little life of its own, interesting... I would like to share some of my memories as well."

While I was at it, I decided to design a new poster for TBTT to dress up this post. It's a portrait version of the "Orange Pop" landscape version I designed a few years ago with a few alterations. Of course, I had to include the prayer stick.


Part 2: Jan Hart Interview

Some of these questions are some that were asked and answered by Jan in Part 1. I am repeating them here, this time including Ruth Ann's responses with her own memories of filming TBTT, for context.



vector art Teenagers Battle the Thing
art by Movie Vigilante
In your review on Amazon.com, you mention how much fun you all had making the movie. Can you recall any behind-the-scenes stories about what made it so much fun? Which cast member was the most fun to be around?

Jan: The fun was in the experience! An experience of a lifetime. I had wanted to be an actress and was a drama student in my high school, dreaming of one day making it to Hollywood! This experience let me understand, in addition to the fun and the novelty, just how much work was involved.   

I remember it as a unique opportunity and though I didn't really feel like I got a chance to explore acting a lot – I did have this wonderful, very unique 5 week (I think) experience in the summer of 1958

vector art Teenagers Battle the Thing
art by Movie Vigilante
Ruth Ann: I have the best memories of our time together and my movie experience was such a fun and interesting time. I was fascinated with the filming, editing and how they put it all together although it seemed very disjointed at the time.

If I recall correctly, I was told they didn't put much work into the script because the purpose of the movie was to show [producers of] a popular TV show at the time, what they could do with cinematography. The TV show MAY have been "Wild Kingdom." Just can't remember...


editor's note: Wild Kingdom's first season was shown in 1963 so it's unlikely that was the TV show if TBTT was filmed in 1958.



Before IMDb got rid of its message boards, someone messaged me and said he did a phone interview in 1986 with James T. Flocker in which James said it was he who played the monster and his dad was the sheriff. I know you said in our first interview that you didn't remember who played those roles but does that ring a bell?

monster suit
James Flocker in monster suit
Jan: It sounds like it could very much be true – but I never saw who was actually getting in to the mummy outfit…

Ruth Ann: I also remember James in the monster suit. I believe I saw him taking it off for the last time right before they set it on fire. And his dad definitely was the sheriff.

Is there a name for the rocks the male cast members climbed and were you and Ruth Ann given the option to hike it as well or was that the director's choice?


Teenagers Battle the Thing
Father Flocker as the sheriff

Jan: It was completely the director’s choice. We were not offered the opportunity. And truly – in 1958, 1959 – it was pretty much established that the ‘girls’ would do ‘girl things like make lunch and set tables’ and the ‘boys’ would do the ‘boy things like climb rocks and explore more’. Sad to say, I was part of the norm of the time.

Ruth Ann: Many of the scenes, including rock climbing, were filmed at the Mormon Rocks in the Cajon Pass. They also used abandoned mine shafts in Calico for the "cave" scenes.

Was the Etiwanda Country Grocery store actually open while you filmed your scenes out in front?

Jan: Yes it was. We filmed in the daytime and it was open – and I was told that a night-time filter would be used to create the impression of night. The Etiwanda Country store was such an iconic example of country stores in southern California at that time.

California
Etiwanda Country Store
Mormon Rocks
Mormon Rocks, Cajon Pass














I don't expect you to remember this but in the scene where you all take a break to eat, do you remember what you had? Did you pack your own lunch?

Jan: I seem to remember tuna salad sandwiches with white bread – but am not positive. I think someone else must have provided them for us because I don’t recall making sandwiches for everyone. I think we must have brought our own lunches each day. I recall getting up very, very early to apply all the makeup that was required and to prepare for the day of shooting. Probably lunch was also a part of that.

Ruth Ann: Remember my Dad owned the Noble Inn? Several times I would make ham sandwiches from there and pack them for us for the next day.
Art Prints
Grove Theater in Upland

Teenagers Battle the Thing is in black and white, while the same footage is in colour in Curse of Bigfoot. When you saw TBTT at the premiere, was it in colour or black and white?

Jan: I think I remember that it was in color – but I am not positive.

Ruth Ann: I think the movie premier at the Grove Theater in Upland was in black and white.

Were you ever in any other acting projects after TBTT, such as plays or student films?

Jan: Yes – I did some acting in student plays while I was at Chaffey Junior College, but then – my interest turned to continuing college in Biology and Chemistry – and that seemed to take most of my attention. I was also quite interested in art…

Ruth Ann: After the movie, I was only involved in one community play in Upland then settled in with Motherhood.

Do you yourself enjoy horror movies? What are some of your favourite films in general?

Jan: There was a time when I was very much intrigued with horror movies – but I have moved consistently away from the genre as I have aged. There are still favorites I have – the Alfred Hitchcock films, especially Vertigo. I do prefer movies now that intrigue me, make me think or wonder. One of my favorites of all time is The Razor’s Edge based on a Somerset Maugham novel by the same title. Now that I live in Costa Rica, I seldom see films other than on Netflix – so I am kind of out of the loop.



Recently, there have been some very obscure movies being restored that nobody ever expected to happen. Manos the Hands of Fate and The Atomic Brain are a couple of examples. Would you like to see the same thing happen with TBTT?

Jan: Ha ha – that would be fun, and amazing. To be honest, I don’t think much about my time with this movie – and it has been nearly 60 years… Still, my sons and a few others still enjoy looking back and would likely enjoy a restoration.

I was inspired to create this music video based on one of Johnny's lines in the film which is "Boy, I sure could go for a bottle of pop." The scene is inserted at the very beginning of the video, which briefly features you among the other cast members. I got permission from singer and songwriter Weird Paul Petroskey to use one of his songs. I showed it to him and he enjoyed it so much that he declared it to be the song's (temporary) official video. How does it feel to be in a music video?


 
Jan: I think it is wonderful!

Well now, I guess I could add that to my resume – wouldn’t that be a hoot!? It feels wonderful and I think my kids would be rolling on the floor laughing! I do have one son who is an amazing finger style guitarist – so he would likely be the most excited.

Were you into watercolour painting at the time you filmed TBTT? Did you take art classes in high school?

Jan: Yes, I was very interested in art, but not watercolor then. I took various art classes and was always the one that was called upon to draw something or paint a mural or design the logo for the school mascot, etc. I was even offered an art scholarship for college that I turned down because I decided I wanted to go into science instead. I painted in oil while I was in high school.

VHS cover
VHS cover
I've searched and searched online but there doesn't seem to be any official movie poster for TBTT. I wonder if you ever considered painting one yourself?

Jan: Painting one? No. I wish there was an official movie poster. I wondered if the cover that came with the [VHS] about 10 – 15 years ago was actually a poster.

Are there any other art mediums that you do?

Jan: After college I taught high school biology and physiology and then was a mom…and went back to teaching oil painting. It was after my divorce, 17 years later that I entered architecture school and first painted in watercolor and I started teaching it right after my first class – and haven’t quit.

Browsing your website, it's easy to see you love animals. How many pets do you have?

Jan: I arrived in Costa Rica with 4 parrots and two dogs. I now have one parrot – Sage, an African Grey – and my two dogs who are my best friends. And then there are all the wonderful animals that live around my house –not pets, but appreciated and loved nevertheless.

I understand you've written a book and another one is in the works. Can you tell us about them?

Jan: Thank you. My first book, The Watercolor Artist’s Guide to Exceptional Color was published by Walter Foster in 2007 – and remains a very popular book though it is no longer being printed. I offer an ebook version through my website, janhart.com.

My second book was just published in 2016, A Woman Awakens: Life, After Life and is about my spiritual journey as a quest for consciousness. It begins in an ambulance in 1997 and moves through my time in New Mexico and how I wound up in Costa Rica, meeting the love of my life - Frank – and continues after his sudden death in 2014. I’m now working on my 3rd book – mostly to do with my conversations with Frank.

By the way – if you would like to see my newsletter, you can go to my brand new website, janhart.com to view. Here is the link to the newsletter, Vol 17 Issue 2.

One of my sons built my site for me and we’ve just gone live! I’m very pleased. And perhaps I should do an article about my movie experience. Ha! That would be fun.



I'm very sorry to hear about your husband, Frank. I was browsing your photo gallery with the two of you and reading about him. He seems like he was a very nice guy. I was also surprised to learn he was a fellow Canuck. Have you ever visited Canada?

Jan: Frank was an amazing person, much beloved by all who knew him – and yes, he was a very proud Canadian. Our story is in the book. I so miss our long conversations that always got us thinking and wondering about more… I visited Canada several times while I lived in the Northwest – in Seattle. And I taught a workshop in Canada once – in White Rock. I do so enjoy Canadians in general!

Thank you both, Jan and Ruth Ann, for taking the time to answer my questions and providing some insight into a little-known movie. As someone who enjoys obscure B-movies and the stories behind them, this was a real treat. 

   

Watch Teenagers Battle the Thing




Watch Jan Hart Paint

 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Redbubble

Featured Post

Fourteen Movies MST3K Should Riff

If you were a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 , then you no doubt know that it is being rebooted, thanks to the successful Bring Bac...